Author, Speaker, and Influencer John C. Maxwell once said, “The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That’s the day we truly grow up.”
Mindset can take you a long way, or it can stop you from achieving what you want in life. Mindset is often seen as the blueprint for success where, without the right type of mindset, everything you set out to do will be difficult.
There are two types of Mindset:
- Growth Mindset
- Fixed Mindset
Carol Dweck, Author of Mindset defines a growth mindset as, “In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work – brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment.”
On the other hand, a fixed mindset is one that believes everything from abilities to intelligence is a fixed asset and cannot be changed or developed.
Here are a few characteristics of both a growth mindset and a fixed mindset:
- Believes intelligence and talents can be developed.
- Believes effort is the path to mastery.
- Understands that mistakes are an essential part of learning.
- Views failure as an opportunity to learn.
- Embraces challenges.
- Believes talents and traits are a fixed asset.
- Believes effort is for those who are not smart enough.
- Covers their flaws and are defensive when flaws are pointed out.
- Views feedback as a personal attack.
So, what kind of mindset would you say that you have? If it’s fixed, are you ready to make the change to a growth mindset? Here’s how you can do that:
- Recognize you have a choice.
- Respond to your fixed mindset thoughts with growth mindset thoughts.
- Seek feedback.
- Have the courage to face challenges.
- Monitor your thoughts and words.
- Obliterate the need for approval from others.
- Cultivate a strong purpose.
- Learn to live in the moment, enjoy the process.
- Have patience!
- Build a routine.
Now you have been thoroughly equipped to develop a strong, growth mindset. Go and take charge of your learning and motivation and watch as your newly developed mindset takes you to new heights!